Saturday, May 23, 2009

News from Barbara Pelletier Bachand

Barbara Pelletier Bachand

Barbara demonstrates her Yankee brand of humor when she writes, "I went down to the pharmacy and got a passport photo. I can either plan a vacation outside the USA or save it for my obit. My Dad did that. Has everything together, picture and all in one envelope, with all his wishes spelled out. Makes it easier for the survivors." A clever way to solve the photo problem!

Barbara adds that she is spending her retirement being "busier than I've ever been," and goes on to say that "New Bedford, MA is a city rich in art, history, and architecture. For the past twenty years or so I have been a volunteer tour guide at the Rotch Jones Duff House and Gardnen Museum. I have also just completed four months of training at the New Bedford Whaling National Park and hope to be an interpreter doing walking tours this summer. I have chosen to talk about the history of the Quakers in early New Bedford." Like other GHS Class of 1960 classmates, she keeps learning. "About eight years ago I took up the clarinet again after not playing since high school. I have played with the UMASS-Dartmouth Wind Ensemble and in the summer I play with the Dartmouth Community Band. We do big band (swing) music in the gazebo on the beach. It's lots of fun except for unexpected lightning storms and being pelted by Canada Geese!!!"

Barbara and her husband Richard enjoy spending time with two grandaughters in Scituate, MA and two grandsons in Fort Collins, CO. She adds that she enjoys reading the Reunion blog and getting news about classmates and can't wait to see us all next year.

No comments: