Friday, January 15, 2010

Does This Ring True?


Just thinking about a class reunion can trigger all kinds of feelings about school, self, and others. These can be happy feelings based on good times, friendships made, and shared "glory days" of accomplishment. There can also be wistful or regretful feelings about things done or not done in high school - personal rivalries, jealousies, or heart-aches that may seem silly now. Because class reunions can evoke powerful emotions, some people avoid going to them. In the lists below, we take a light-hearted look at reasons for not going to a reunion as experienced over the years.

Reasons for Not Attending - 1965
Can't go - I'm expecting a baby.
Not me - I just started a new job
Sorry - I'm stationed in the service
But I'm in graduate school
Frankly, I don't want to see him or her.

Reasons for Not Attending - 1985
I won't recognize anyone.
No one will recognize me.
I'm single - again.
We are on vacation that week.
I have business travel.

Reasons for Not Attending - 2005
I don't like to drive after dark.
Rich food gives me gas.
That's a long way to go for just a few hours.
I'd have to lose some weight first.
Will anyone even remember me?

Do you have an observation to add to this list? Your replies are welcome. You can leave a comment or e-mail an idea to ghsclassof1960@gmail.com.

This post was written in fun, and we hope we haven't hurt anyone's feelings. Our 50th Class Reunion on the weekend of July 23-25, 2010 may be the last best chance to have so many of us together in one room again.

1 comment:

ntktwalr@verizon.net said...

Ahhh, is this all one person's personal problem? In the Service, sent to Grad School for a New Job, PREGNANT--and definitely doesn't want to see HIM!!!Wait, Wait, I think I knew that Girl (not Biblically ,I'm Sure I wasn't in town that weekend) but I'm thinking I'd have liked to... I am REALLY sorry I missed ThaT reunion.Bob, the wishful