Saturday, June 26, 2010

Finding Sam Evans



Sam Evans and daughter Emma at Organ Pipe National Monument, 2005

Sam Evans did not graduate from Gardner High School in 1960. His father died the year before, leaving his mother with three young boys. Sam's senior year was spent in a school in Connecticut (Wooster School, Danbury) - thanks to a family friend. The eleven years before that were spent in Gardner. Sam attended School Street Elementary School, Gardner Junior High School, and three years at GHS.

Samuel Porter Evans graduated from Washington&Jefferson College, served in Vietnam with an Army artillery unit, then earned an MBA from UCLA. He spent most of his business career in the cable television industry in the Pacific Northwest. Today, he lives in Tucson, Arizona and volunteers wuth and supports various conservation and humanitarian groups. Summers are spent away from the desert in a cabin on the British Columbia coast, 100 miles northwest of Vancouver.

Many classmates will remember Sam's "I Speak for Democracy" speach at a school assembly.

Sam has traveled extensively, living in western China for two and a half years and in Argentina for one year. He writes, "I will miss the reunion and opportunity to reunite with classmates. Thanks for introducing me to the GHS web log where I can read about classmates and learn what you have been doing all these years. I look back fondly on my Gardner days; life was much simpler then than it is for kids today. My thoughts will be with you as you gather in July and I wish you all the best."

How we found Sam: At one time, Sam joined Classmates.com and included a map of his location. We went to a telephone database and entered Sam Evans in Tucson AZ. Bada bing! The man at the other end of the line was Sam.

1 comment:

tr said...

One recollection of Sam.
Intermediate basketball game during our JHS years. Sam had pi_ _ ed (made me mad) so i tripped him. Definitely a dirty trick on my part. Bishop caught me. Administered a verbal lashing (much deserved) and tossed me out of the gym.

Sam if you do see this you would have to admit that you had a knack for getting under one's skin.

You look great and your daughter is beautiful.